August 31, 2011
The Food And Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a recall for a neck massager after it was found to responsible for the strangulation death of a Florida doctor last year and was associated with several other choking cases.
According to Colorado’s 9 News, the 37-year-old doctor was home alone on Christmas Eve of last year, when she lay down for a quick massage from the piece of machinery. A necklace she was wearing became caught in the moving parts of King International’s ShoulderFlex Massager. It quickly tightened around her neck; causing her to choke, go unconscious, and stop breathing within minutes.
The FDA reported another case where a users hair got caught in the same moving parts.
The agency stated that the dangerous device, which is no longer available for purchase, should be dismantled into separate pieces and thrown away, so it cannot be picked up and used.
The company sold nearly 12,000 of the units since 2003. The late doctor’s husband has filed suit against the device’s maker for the wrongful death of his wife.
If you have lost a loved one due to the malfunction of a product, get in touch with the Colorado Wrongful Death Attorneys with the McDivitt Law Firm. Their experience and understanding of your situation may be just what you need to get through the difficult times you are facing and hold those responsible accountable. They can be reached by filling out a free online consultation form.